The Office in Nativitytide***amended

From December 24 onwards we are in Nativitytide, and the Vigil (December 24) is of the first class.

The rubrics for the vigil can be found in the Monastic Diurnal at 54*, and very straightforward once you know what the office of the day is from the Ordo (below): all of the texts are proper, and psalms for Lauds and Vespers are festal. Similarly, the details for Christmasday are set out in the Diurnal from 58*.

The main point to note is that Christmas has an octave, so within the week of Christmas, any day that is not a particular feast is said using the antiphons and texts from the feast day itself (**note that the psalms for Prime and the little hours are of the day of the week though, and that the fourth psalm at Vespers alternates).

Also, at Compline, don't forget to use the prayers after the Marian Antiphon marked for after December 23.

May you all have a happy and holy Christmas, and please, keep me in your prayers!

THE ORDO

24 December - Vigil of the Nativity, Class I

See MD 54*.

I Vespers of the Nativity of Our Lord, MD 58*

25 December – The Nativity of Our Lord, Class I with a II Class Octave

See MD 61*ff

26 December – St Stephen, Protomartyr, Class II

See MD 83*ff

27 December – Sunday within the Octave within the Octave, Commemoration of St John

See MD 77*ff; for the commemoration at Lauds and Vespers, MD 90*ff

28 December - Holy Innocents, Martyrs, Class II

See MD 97*ff

29 December – Fifth Day within the Octave of the Nativity, Class II

See MD 103*

30 December – Sixth Day within the Octave of the Nativity, Class II

See MD 103*

31 December – Seventh Day within the Octave of the Nativity, Class II

See MD 103*ff

I Vespers of the Octave of the Nativity of Our Lord, MD 104*ff

2 comments:

benedict said...

May you too have a Blessed and Holy Christmas.

God Bless.

Rich said...

I just bought the Diurnal, and I am waiting for it in the mail. In the meantime, I will be salivating as I read the pages on your blog. What a resource!

I will lift up my first hour for your intentions.