Ordo for the Traditional Benedictine Office in January

Set our below are Ordo notes for the Monastic Day Office with page references to the Farnborough edition of the Monastic Diurnal (which uses the 1963 rubrics). Some cross-references to the Roman Extraordinary Form (EF) and Novus Ordo calendars have been included but they are not comprehensive.

Note that there are several changes of season this month, to the ordinary of Nativitytide (Jan 2), Epiphanytide (Jan 6), then to 'time throughout the year' (Jan 14).

31 December – Seventh Day within the Octave of the Nativity, Class II
See MD 103*ff

I Vespers of the Octave of the Nativity of Our Lord, MD 104*ff

Friday 1 January – Octave of the Nativity of Our Lord, Class I [Novus Ordo: Mary, Mother of God]

MD 108*

Saturday 2 January – Saturday of Our Lady **(in some places) St Thomas of Canterbury, bishop and martyr: Class II

Office of Our Lady – See MD 9133)ff

Note instructions for the ordinary of the Nativity 119*

For St Thomas, MD 3**

I Vespers of Second Sunday after the Nativity, MD 113*

Sunday 3 January – Second Sunday after the Nativity: Class II [EF: Most Holy Name of Jesus; NO/EF: External Solemnity of the Epiphany]

MD 115*ff

Monday 4 January – St Titus, Bishop and Confessor: Memorial

MD 125*-126*

Tuesday 5 January – feria [EF: Vigil of the Epiphany]

I Vespers of the Epiphany of Our Lord – MD 126*ff

Wednesday 6 January – Epiphany of Our Lord: Class I

MD 129*ff

Thursday 7 January - feria

Note instructions for the Ordinary of the Epiphany, MD 133*ff

At Lauds: Antiphon for the Benedictus: MD135* (day II)
At Vespers: Antiphon for the Magnificat: MD 139*

Friday 8 January - feria

Antiphon for the Benedictus: MD135* (day III)
At Vespers: Antiphon for the Magnificat: MD 139*

Saturday 9 January – Saturday of Our Lady

See MD [133]

I Vespers for first Sunday after the Epiphany: MD 140*

Sunday 10 January – First Sunday after the Epiphany: Class II [or Holy Family]

MD142*ff

Monday 11 January - feria

Antiphon for the Benedictus: MD136* (day IV)
At Vespers: Antiphon for the Magnificat: MD 139*

Tuesday 12 January – (in some places) St Benedict Biscop, Abbot, Class I

Antiphon for the Benedictus: MD136* (day V)
At Vespers: Antiphon for the Magnificat: MD 139*

MD 10**

Wednesday 13 January – Commemoration of Our Lord’s Baptism: Class II

MD 140*

Thursday 14 January – St Hilary, Bishop, Confessor and Doctor: Memorial

Note: From now until Septuagesima, all is said as for ‘throughout the year as set out in the psalter

MD [24]

(in some places I Vespers of Our Lady of Prompt Succour, see below)

Friday 15 January – feria (in some places) Our Lady of Prompt Succour: Class I [EF: St Paul the First Hermit]

MD 11** - 16**

Saturday 16 January – Saturday of Our lady; St Marcellus I, Pope and Martyr: Memorial

MD [133], for the commemoration MD [25]

I Vespers for second Sunday after the Epiphany, MD 146*

Sunday 17 January – Second Sunday after the Epiphany: Class II

MD 146*ff

Monday 18 January - feria

Tuesday 19 January – SS Marius, Martha, Audifax and Abachum, Martrys: Memorial

MD [26]

Wednesday 20 January – SS Fabian, Pope and Sebastian, Martyrs: Class III

MD [27]

Thursday 21 January – St Agnes, Virgin and Martyr: Class III (Class II in monasteries of nuns) (in some places, St Meinrad, Class I)

MD [27] – [34]

For St Meinrad, MD 16**ff

Friday 22 January – St Vincent, Martyr: Memorial

MD [34]

Saturday 23 January – Saturday of Our Lady;St Emerentiana, Virgin and Martyr: Memorial

MD [133], for the commemoration see MD [35]

I Vespers of Sunday, MD147*ff

Sunday 24 January – Third Sunday after the Epiphany: Class II

MD 148*

Monday 25 January – Conversion of St Paul, Apostle: Class III

MD [36] – [42]

Tuesday 26 January – St Polycarp, bishop and martyr: Memorial

MD [43]

Wednesday 27 January – St John Chrysostom, bishop, confessor and doctor: Class III

MD [43]

Thursday 28 January – St Cyril, Bishop, Confessor and Doctor: Memorial

MD [44]

Friday 29 January – St Frances de Sales, bishop, confessor and doctor: Memorial

Saturday 30 January – Saturday of Our Lady

MD [133]

I Vespers of Septuagesima Sunday, Class II: MD 153*

Note: From now until Easter, after the double alleluias at Vespers, Laus tibi is said instead of Alleluia after the ‘Deus in adjutorium’

Sunday 31 January – Septuagesima Sunday

MD 154*

7 comments:

Kevin Zaporski said...

Terra:

I am very interested in the monastic office, and I have a few questions. First, I have the 1939 Monastic Breviary. What are some of the differences between that and the 1963? Second, I am amazed at all the information on this blog. Are all the rubrics (like knowing when to make the sign of the cross, etc) included in the Breviary or are they taken from separate rubrical books as well?

Thanks!

Kevin Zaporski

Terra said...

Firstly, the rubrics I've used are generally all set out in the Breviary. The breviary certainly does include rules on when to make the sign of the cross etc. In one or two instances I may have referenced practices I've observed at various monasteries (generally noted), or that I've gleaned from my collection of monastic ceremoniales and rituales, but I've generally avoided relying on these.

In terms of the differences between 1939 and 1963 breviaries, I have to admit that I don't own an earlier breviary (though I do have an antiphonale for the day hours as well as the patristic readings for Matins) so haven't sat down and done a comparison.

The biggest difference though is obviously in terms of the calendar - 1963 includes the changes to Holy Week made in the 1950s, the stripping out of octaves and a few feasts, and in the terminology for feasts.

Beyond that there are a few cases of changes in the patristic readings for Matins, but they are relatively rare; plus removal of the preces and prayers before the Office. The core of the Office though is pretty much the same. But as I said, I haven't been able to do a complete comparison.

Kevin Zaporski said...

Terra:

Where does one find the collect of the day?
(Note I don't have the Monastic Diurnal, so page numbers here won't help much).

Thanks!

K.Z.

Terra said...

Collect of the day is usually the one from the previous Sunday (unless it is a feastday). In the Diurnal and current breviary, you can find it with the other 'proper' texts at the front of the book, but I think its in a different order in the older breviary - basically look for the 'temporale' section of the breviary, where you get the texts specific to each Sunday after Epiphany etc.

For saints days, look in the 'sanctorale', which sets out any texts for the feast day.

Dev Thakur said...

This site is a wonderful help! A question for those who follow the Roman (non-Benedictine calendar):

Today for Lauds I wanted to celebrate the feast of SS Vincent and Anastasius, martyrs, as listed in my FSSP Ordo, but I have been using the Monastic Diurnal. My question is did I do it right?

What I did for Lauds: I considered it a 3rd Class feast w/o proper antiphons, prayed the regular antiphons/psalms for Friday Lauds, used the Festal Cancticle. Then the Chapter/Response/Hymn/Versicle from the Common of Several Martyrs outside of Paschaltide, and then I ended with the collect from my 1962Missal.

Should I keep following this type of practice, modifying to keep the regular Roman calendar? Using what I can from the Missal and the rest from the common? Commemorations as well?

Thanks so much!

Terra said...

Dev - Yes it sounds as if you did it correctly.

In terms of choice of calendar, I'm not really sure there is a right answer. If you are an oblate, you are entitled (and probably should) to use the calendar of the monastery you are attached to. If not, you need to balance up the factors.

If you are going to daily mass in the EF, then following the Roman Ordo makes a certain amount of sense as the Office and Mass will then line up more closely (though the differences betwen the tow aren't huge). You might find the Ordo on the Le Barroux website useful, as their Ordo is something of a blend of the Benedictine and Roman calendars.

That said, if you are totally following the Roman (FSSP) Ordo, maybe it would make more sense to say the Roman Office than the Benedictine?

A compromise might be to follow the Benedictine calendar in the main, and add in any feasts to which you have a particular attachment from the FSSP Ordo (akin to the way some priests saying the EF will say a votive mass on feasts of modern saints not included in the 1962 ordo).

Personally I prefer the selection of saints in the Benedictine ordo in the main (not that it couldn't do with a bit of a tidyout and a few additions) and find the Roman calendar rather over cluttered with a disproportionate number of confessors, but that's just a taste issue!

Dev Thakur said...

Thanks Terra! I actually am thinking of eventually switching over to the Roman Breviary eventually, but I don't have one right now, so I've learning with the Monastic Diurnal.

It would be ideal, since I serve at and attend the EF the Roman Calendar, and have no association with any monasteries.

thanks again