First Week after Pentecost

Trinity Sunday marks the return to 'ordinary time' as the (very) Ordinary Form calendar likes to call it, which means all those Paschaltide alleluias drop out of the Office, and the Marian antiphon at Compline changes to Salve Regina. For those using the monastic breviary, it is time to change volumes!

 Note that the collect of the week is for the First Week after Pentecost, not Trinity Sunday.

Sunday 22 May – Feast of the Most Holy Trinity, Class I

Lauds: Festal psalms, rest of the feast, MD 409 ff

Prime: The Athanasian Creed is said

Vespers: As for I Vespers except for Magnificat antiphon, MD 418*

Monday 23 May - Class IV

All as in the psalter for time throughout the year, collect of the first Sunday after Pentecost, MD 418*

Tuesday 24 May - Class IV

All as in the psalter for time throughout the year, collect of the first Sunday after Pentecost, MD 418*

Australia and NZ: I Vespers of Our Lady Help of Christians, MD 25**

Wednesday 25 May –  St Gregory VII, Class III; In Australia and NZ, Our Lady Help of Christians, Class I

Matins: One reading of the feast.

Lauds to Vespers: Psalms and antiphons of the day; rest from common of a confessor bishop except for collect and Magnificat antiphon, MD [149]

I Vespers of Corpus Christi, MD 419*

For Our Lady Help of Christians, MD 28** (at Vespers, commemoration of Corpus Christi)

Thursday 26 May -  Corpus Christi, Class I

Lauds: Festal psalms of Sunday with antiphons etc of the feast, MD 427* ff

Prime: Antiphon 1 of Lauds

Terce to None: Antiphon, chapter and versicle, MD 430-1*

Vespers: As for I Vespers, MD 419* ff except for the Magnificat antiphon, MD 431*

Friday 27 May – St Bede, Class III

Matins: One reading of the feast

Lauds and Vespers: Psalms and antiphons of the day; rest from common of a confessor bishop except for collect, MD [150]  

Terce to None: Chapter & versicle from the Common

If Class I, see MD 31**

Saturday 28 May - Saturday of Our Lady [EF: St Augustine OSB, Class III]

Matins: Reading of Saturday 4&5 in May

Lauds to None: MD (129) ff

I Vespers of the Second Sunday after Pentecost, MD 432*

3 comments:

Dom Cingoranelli said...

Kate - Thanks for your guidance! You are helping me to become more competent with the Diurnal.

In comparing the Divinum Officium readings for pre-Trident Monastic with the Diurnal, I see general parallels. Occasionally, I don't find the capitulum/chapter to be the same. Today at prime, e.g. is "Capitulum Versus {from the Psalter for the season of the Church year} Zach 8:19 Love ye truth and peace, said the Almighty Lord." in Div. Offic. I don't see where that's at in the MD though?

Also, do you know a source for a zippered cover for the MD to protect the pages?

Dom

Kate Edwards said...

Thanks Dom.

I'm afraid I can't help on the cover - anyone else?

In terms of the readings, Divinum Officium I have to admit I haven't done a close analysis but generally it seems to mostly use whatever is in the older form of the Roman Breviary. As far as I can see, it is really only the psalms that are arranged according to the Benedictine breviary. Most times that broadly aligns (though they always have three readings at each Nocturn rather than the four on Sundays and feasts specified in the Benedictine rubrics), but sometimes it doesn't.

In the case of the Prime chapter verse though, the Zachariah reading for Sundays is a relic of a pre-1962 version of the Office.

Dom Cingoranelli said...

Thanks for your quick reply!

God bless,

Dom