This Sunday is Septuagesima Sunday, the start of the 'pre-Lenten' or 'Shrovetide' season.
Septuagesimatide is intended to help us ease us into Lenten mode, and so is a good time to start thinking about what book to choose as spiritual reading for Lent, and what penances you plan to adopt.
During this time, the Alleluia is no longer used in the Office - but it is first solemnly 'buried' with extra Alleluias added to the close of the Office of I Vespers today.
The Gospel is St Matthew 20:1-16, the parable of the workers being hired for the vineyard.
Saints feasts in the traditional Benedictine and Extraordinary Form calendars this week are:
- Tuesday, 7 February, St Romuald, OSB;
- Wednesday 8 February (EF only): St John of Matha;
- Thursday 9 February (EF only): St Cyril of Alexandria
- Friday, 10 February: St Scholastica, Class I/II;
- Saturday, 11 February (EF only): Apparition of the BVM.
In the Ordinary form, it is the Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time, and the Gospel is St Mark 1:29-39, the healing of St Peter's mother-in-law, and preaching in Galilee.